Last updated on June 21, 2023
I’m thrilled to share a Keto-friendly version of Bharwa Bhindi (or Stuffed Okra), which has always been one of my favorite Indian dishes. In its traditional form, Bharwa Bhindi is prepared with stuffing that is not suitable for a Keto diet.
However, I recently discovered a Keto-friendly way to make it, and now we can incorporate this dish into the Keto Lifestyle.
Bharwa translates to stuffed and bhindi to okra/lady finder in English.
There are two methods you can use to prepare this recipe: in an Air Fryer or on a stovetop pan. Both methods are simple and yield delicious low-carb, high-fat, and Keto-friendly stuffed Okra.
The flavors of Indian spices in this dish are outstanding, and it’s incredibly easy to make. You can whip it up in no time, leaving your kitchen mess-free. It’s a perfect option for a Keto Diet lunch or dinner as a side dish. I highly recommend trying it with my Keto Garlic Butter Naan recipe—the combination is divine.
The key element of this recipe is the stuffing. There are various ways to prepare it, but I prefer using roasted peanuts, which are coarsely powdered. You can also add dry coconut or roasted besan (gram flour) according to your preference.
Once the peanuts are mixed with Indian dry spices, the stuffing is filled into the Okra and cooked until crispy. Continue reading for the detailed procedure below.
Recipe for Keto Bharwa Bhindi
- air fryer
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Amchur Powder
- ½ tsp Fennel Powder Optional
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Oil
Preparing Keto Bharwa Bhindi in Air Fryer
- Wash, rich, and pat okras dry with a clean cloth. After that, cut each bhindi from the top and bottom while adding a slit in between.
- To make the stuffing, take a small bowl and add some roasted peanut powder in it along with cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, fennel seeds powder, amchur powder, and salt. Mix all these ingredients well.
- Now, add a tablespoon of olive oil or any other cooking oil of your choice and mix well. Oil would help in sticking all the spices properly to the bhindi while stuffing. Make sure to remove large seeds from the bhindi while stuffing them with prepared masala.
- Preheat your air fryer to 180°C (or 360°F) and add stuffed bhindi to its basket. Spread stuffed bhindi in a single layer and cook them in batches, if needed. Further, slightly spray or brush some oil on the top.
- Let them air the fryer for 10-12 minutes. After cooking remove the basket and flip the bhindi on a plate while brushing some oil on it if you still feel your Bharwa Bhindi is dry.
Preparing Keto Bharwa Bhindi on Stovetop Pan
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil or other cooking oil on medium heat. Once the oil heats up, add stuffed okra(make the stuffing as mentioned in the previous method) into the pan in a single layer and let it cook for two to three minutes.
- After two to three minutes, cover the pan with a lid and cook for around three to four minutes on low flame.
- When the bhindi is properly cooked from all sides, gently flip it on a plate.
- Calories: 166kcal
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fat: 15g
- Fiber: 4g
Try it today and enjoy this healthy and delicious meal without disrupting your healthy dietary goals. Want to know more about such Keto Indian recipes? Check out my Keto Tofu Tikka Masala, Keto Paneer Jalfrezi, or Keto Simple Mushroom Curry recipes. And, don’t forget to share your thoughts with me after trying any of my recipes.