Many people love to have spicy and flavourful Chinese cuisine every time they’re out with their family or friends. However, Chinese food is high in sodium, sugar, and trans fats. This makes Chinese cuisine an unhealthy eating option, and they’re a big no-no on Ketogenic Diet. What if I tell you that there is a healthy way to enjoy your favorite cuisine?
Being a Keto-diet follower for many years now, I keep experimenting with different cuisine recipes to enjoy healthy food while sharing the same with you. Recently, I tried my hand at replicating a low-carb, keto-friendly Sesame Chicken recipe and was pleasantly amused with the outcome.
The key ingredient of this recipe is toasted sesame seed oil, which is often used in different Chinese recipes. This oil added a distinct flavor to the recipe without adding extra carbs. This Keto-friendly sesame chicken recipe is really finger-licking good. You must give it a try to calm your fast food cravings for Chinese food without any guilt.
I made simple changes to the traditional sesame chicken recipe. But I’m glad that it worked out really well. Check out my recipe here. I’m certain that after trying this at home, you won’t be ordering Chinese food from restaurants ever again, particularly if you are following a strict Ketogenic Diet.
Serves – 2 servings
Prep Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
For Coating & Chicken
1 tbsp toasted Sesame Seed Oil
500 gms Chicken Thighs (cut them into bite-sized pieces)
For Sesame Sauce
1 tbsp toasted Sesame Seed Oil
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Brown Sugar
1 tbsp Vinegar
1 Clove Garlic
Ginger (1 cm cube)
1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
2 tbsp Sesame Seeds
1. Make a batter by blending a large egg with 1 tablespoon of arrowroot powder.
2. Whisk thoroughly and add the cut chicken pieces to it. Make sure to coat all the cut pieces well. Marinate it for a white.
3. Now, heat a tablespoon of toasted sesame seed oil in another large pan and add coated chicken pieces to it. Leave some room in between each piece. Work in batches if needed, as you have to only fry them – not steam them. You even need to work gently while flipping the chicken pieces. If you are not gentle, there are chances of breading coming off and the sesame sauce won’t stick to it properly.
4. When the chicken is cooking (around 10 minutes), prepare sesame sauce using all the ingredients mentioned above. Make sure to whisk everything well to maintain proper consistency.
5. Once your chicken is properly cooked, add prepared sesame sauce to your pan and stir to combine everything well.
6. Let it cook for 5 minutes more.
7. Once the sauce becomes thick and warm, don’t forget to garnish the recipe with more sesame seeds and green onions.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calorie – 509
Carb – 16g
Fat – 29g
Protein – 38g
The delicious and healthy recipe can be paired well with Keto Broccoli rice or Keto cauliflower rice. Do give it a try! If you loved this recipe, let me know in the comments below.
Looking for more interesting Keto-friendly chicken recipes, check out my Keto Asian Chicken, Keto Saag Chicken, and Keto Ginger Lime Spatchcock Chicken.
Also, follow me on Facebook and Instagram to find out more about my Ketogenic lifestyle and learn more healthy and yummy Ketogenic recipes.