It’s been a while since I posted a dessert. Frankly, I do not feel any cravings for them now. But anytime is a good time for a sweet and simple Indian dessert-like ‘Barfi’. This dessert is often made at an Indian festival called Holi. It is a famous festival of colours, in which people apply colour in all shades to family and friends. It is our unique way of showing we care.
I have for you today my version of Keto Coconut Barfi. It is a popular sweet which is traditionally made with sugar, coconut, and milk. I have given it my twist and the final dish is very satisfying. The barfi is creamy, soft and very close to the original. I have used a very special ingredient in this dish, saffron. Saffron is a royal ingredient which imparts a very unique flavor to any dish it is added to. As a rule, it should be always added in the end, so that its flavour is not masked by other ingredients. And the best way to use it is by soaking it in warm milk for some time.
Keto Coconut Barfi Making Procedure
1. Measure out the desiccated coconut and coconut milk in two bowls. Heat 100 ml coconut milk for a minute in the microwave.
2. Add the coconut to it and let it soak for an hour. Keep it covered.
3. After an hour, in a wok add 5tsp Ghee, heat on medium heat. 4. Add the soaked coconut and start cooking on low heat. This is the most important step, so keep patience. Keep stirring at regular intervals. Do not let it stick to the bottom.
4. Before you start cooking, soak the saffron in 15ml warm coconut milk and keep it aside.
5. In five to seven minutes you will see that the ghee will appear on the sides. Cook for another two minutes. Add the cardamom powder.
6. Add the saffron soaked in the coconut milk to the barfi mixture and cook more. I had added my stevia powder to the saffron and coconut milk mixture beforehand. So that it would be well dissolved when the time to add it will come.
7. In another five minutes, the mixture will look very homogenous and start leaving the work.
8. Spread 1 tsp melted ghee on a plate. Put the barfi mixture on the plate and spread it evenly on the plate.
9. Next, I sprinkled the grounded almonds on the mixture and kept the plate in the fridge for two hours.
10. After two hours the barfi will be firm. If it is not put it in the freezer for half an hour. 12. Now cut them in any shape you want. 13. I made a chocolate sauce by melting coconut oil and adding Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa to it, and a few drops of stevia. 14. On some of my barfi pieces is spread this sauce and kept the rest plain.
11. On this Holi make this barfi, and spread joy and cheer all around.
Tip: If you want, you can make the barfi in coconut oil too. The barfi is very creamy and the saffron lifts it to a whole new level. You can also skip the almonds and keep it really simple and sweet. You can also use fresh coconut, and then you don’t need to soak it in coconut milk.
Also Read: Keto Rasmalai
18 thoughts on “Priya’s Keto Coconut Barfi”
How much stevia did you use in the recipe?
I didn’t see the amount anywhere in the recipe
How much stevia did you use in the recipe?
It’s actually according to taste. I have used almost half a cup in this.
I do not have a microwave is there any other option to heat the coconut milk?
Can you pls suggest me which stevia is best in powder and liquid form.
I cannot wait to make this and have it…it looks very delicious.
Thank you for all your recipes
You can heat it on a stove. I use Stevia Cal powder. Thank you for the appreciation.
I am making this next week for my Eid celebrations. I love your recipes.
I am so glad to hear that. Happy EID in advance. Enjoy !
i made it and it was nice.thank you.
You are most welcome. 😉
I made this today and it tasted very nice. Thank you so much
Thank you, glad you enjoyed it.
Can I use fresh coconut and make this instead of mixing coconut milk in dried coconut?
Will the macros remain same then?
Thanks for sharing your keto ideas. Looks yum
I have not tried it with fresh coconut, I am not sure if it will bind or not. And the carb content will become high definitely.
Looks tasty…surely a worth try 🙂
The barfi looks very tempting. I’ve seen a lot of coconut barfis but the chocolate sauce on top of it sure makes me want to have this right away. Thanks for sharing the lovely recipe Priya.
When you make it, please let me know if you liked it. And i can tell you for sure that you wont be able to stop at one.
well explained recipe. Thanks for sharing with us. This holi festival, I will try to cook this coconut barfi with my mom.
Thank you, do let me know if you liked it.
कीटो अंडा और मशरूम सूप
Keto Pancakes – Quick and Easy Keto Dessert
Keto Almond Butter Espresso Bars
कीटो तंदूरी टोफू/शाकाहारी व्यंजन
Keto Instant Pot Cauliflower Curry
प्रिया का कीटो विंटर वेज सूप
Keto Ginger Snap Cookies
Keto Mason Jar Ice Cream