It’s been a while since I posted a dessert. Frankly, I do not feel any cravings for them now. But anytime is a good time for a sweet and simple Indian dessert-like ‘Barfi’. This dessert is often made at an Indian festival called Holi. It is a famous festival of colours, in which people apply colour in all shades to family and friends. It is our unique way of showing we care.
I have for you today my version of Keto Coconut Barfi. It is a popular sweet which is traditionally made with sugar, coconut, and milk. I have given it my twist and the final dish is very satisfying. The barfi is creamy, soft and very close to the original. I have used a very special ingredient in this dish, saffron. Saffron is a royal ingredient which imparts a very unique flavor to any dish it is added to. As a rule, it should be always added in the end, so that its flavour is not masked by other ingredients. And the best way to use it is by soaking it in warm milk for some time.
Keto Coconut Barfi Making Procedure
1. Measure out the desiccated coconut and coconut milk in two bowls. Heat 100 ml coconut milk for a minute in the microwave.
2. Add the coconut to it and let it soak for an hour. Keep it covered.
3. After an hour, in a wok add 5tsp Ghee, heat on medium heat. 4. Add the soaked coconut and start cooking on low heat. This is the most important step, so keep patience. Keep stirring at regular intervals. Do not let it stick to the bottom.
4. Before you start cooking, soak the saffron in 15ml warm coconut milk and keep it aside.
5. In five to seven minutes you will see that the ghee will appear on the sides. Cook for another two minutes. Add the cardamom powder.
6. Add the saffron soaked in the coconut milk to the barfi mixture and cook more. I had added my stevia powder to the saffron and coconut milk mixture beforehand. So that it would be well dissolved when the time to add it will come.
7. In another five minutes, the mixture will look very homogenous and start leaving the work.
8. Spread 1 tsp melted ghee on a plate. Put the barfi mixture on the plate and spread it evenly on the plate.
9. Next, I sprinkled the grounded almonds on the mixture and kept the plate in the fridge for two hours.
10. After two hours the barfi will be firm. If it is not put it in the freezer for half an hour. 12. Now cut them in any shape you want. 13. I made a chocolate sauce by melting coconut oil and adding Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa to it, and a few drops of stevia. 14. On some of my barfi pieces is spread this sauce and kept the rest plain.
11. On this Holi make this barfi, and spread joy and cheer all around.
Tip: If you want, you can make the barfi in coconut oil too. The barfi is very creamy and the saffron lifts it to a whole new level. You can also skip the almonds and keep it really simple and sweet. You can also use fresh coconut, and then you don’t need to soak it in coconut milk.
Also Read: Keto Rasmalai