You might have dropped the idea of going on a Keto diet, due to false speculation that you will be asked to stop drinking. And you think there are no Keto drinks that you think you could have without worrying about your calorie and carb count. Most get-fit gurus ask you to give up drinking in the first session itself. Alcohol is after all just a barrel full of calories.
In a perfect world where peace and tranquility are all around, why would you drink in the first place? And you probably won’t need to lose weight also. But in the real world, you might be leading the most stressful life, and you enjoy a drink or two occasionally.
Why give that up?
The beauty of Keto is that you can have a drink or two once in a while and continue to lose weight. There is a correct way of consuming alcohol while on a Ketogenic diet. Let me tell you all about it.
An Indian standard peg is similar to a global peg of liquor, it is almost 45 ml and absolutely carb-free. But each 45 ml shot is about 64 calories. And this figure keeps multiplying itself depending on the amount you are consuming. As a thumb rule just remember that all hard liquors white in color are pretty much allowed on Keto.
On a Keto diet the following drinks are very safe:
As you can see that it’s quite a list, so you can stop complaining now. The important thing to note is that whenever you plan to have a drink stick to the original versions, and avoid the flavored versions. And like I have told you before always check the nutritional breakup before you drink or eat anything.
I am personally a big fan of vodka, tequila and chilled gimlets for sunny afternoons.
No sugar does not imply that you will now have to drink your liquor with water and ice. The following mixers will do just fine-
• All kinds of Coke – Diet / Zero
• Soda water
• Diet Tonic water
• Sugarfree Red Bull or Monster
I am going to be honest with you; beer is not such a good idea on a Keto diet. But if you get stuck with your boss and you don’t want to tell him your secret of the disappearing kilos (Keto). Then just order yourself a light beer and drag it through the evening.
• Kingfisher Light – 99 calories – About 540ml / 12oz
• Corona Light – 99 calories – About 540ml / 12oz
• Budweiser Light – 110 calories – About 540ml / 12oz
• Fosters – 110 calories – About 540ml / 12oz
Since I went on the diet I have not had beer even once, I fear it will upset my stomach, which has already become lemon-sized, also because avoiding gluten is a good idea.
List of drinks that I personally have on Keto:
Take 45 ml gin, pour it in a highball glass, top it up with ice. Now add a dash of lemon juice and drop in a green chilly, after slitting it in the middle. Enjoy !
Vodka in Soda
Just pour yourself vodka in a glass and top it up with plain soda. Sorry, you can’t have it in orange juice. I admit the soda and vodka take some getting used to. But it’s better than no vodka at all.Drop-in a slice of lemon or a few fresh leaves of mint to add some flavor.
Tricks and tips on what to avoid
• Jagermeister and Absinthe are a big NO NO, as they are very high on carbs.
• Don’t start hogging on fries or nachos just because you had a few drinks. Order a tandoori chicken and avoid the nan.
• Do not order any cocktail that has a fruit juice or anything fruity as a mixer.
• If you are having alcohol for the first time on the diet, watch your body’s reaction closely. For some it might jumpstart a weight loss, for others, it might force them into a stall.
• Please remember that once your body is on full ketosis your tolerance for liquor will be very low. So go slow on the drinks.
So what’s your favorite drink? Do share your comments with me.