Last updated on September 2, 2023
Growing up in a household where both my parents were working, I was fortunate to have a mother who always made time to cook delicious meals for us. Despite her busy schedule, she had a peculiar trait that I realized I inherited from her after I started cooking Keto version of Indian recipes.
Whenever she discovered a new recipe, she couldn’t wait to try it out at home. This worked out wonderfully for us as we got to taste all sorts of delectable dishes. I seem to have that same eagerness to try new recipes, and it brings me great joy.
Back in the days when I was a “normal human being,” I used to crave all the things I shouldn’t have been eating. But now, as a “fit and healthy human being” on Keto, my cravings have shifted to Keto-friendly foods.
Recently, I had been yearning for a comforting winter dessert that would evoke memories of my mother’s cooking. After much contemplation, I decided to make a Keto custard for myself. Custards of all kinds were a staple in my childhood, whether it was chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, with biscuits, fruits, or simply plain.
The recipe I came up with is wonderfully simple. Even though I had already consumed my daily calorie allowance when I started preparing the custard, I simply couldn’t resist having a taste while it was piping hot.
Custard, mixture of eggs, milk, sugar, and flavourings which attains its consistency by the coagulation of the egg protein by heat. Baked custard contains whole eggs, which cause the dish to solidify to a gel — Britannica Encyclopedia.
This coconut custard is perfect for those who seek comfort and sweetness while following a Keto lifestyle. What amazed me the most was when I calculated the nutritional value for one serving, the net carbs came out to be zero.
So, all arguments about weight loss getting stalled or the necessity of desserts on Keto can be put to rest. The only thing that will happen when you indulge in this custard is that you’ll have a big smile from ear to ear.
Give it a try and let me know if you enjoyed it as much as I did.
Directions for making Keto Custard
Zero Carb Keto Custard Recipe
- 100 ml Dabur Coconut milk Stirred with the cream
- 1 piece Egg Medium size
- 15 gram Desiccated unsweetened coconut
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 pinch Cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp Sweetener of your choice
- 1 pinch Salt
- In a bowl, break the egg, add the sweetener and the salt.
- Blend with a fork, until the sweetener mixes with the egg. Add the vanilla extract and beat some more.
- While you are beating the egg, pour the coconut milk in a pan, and heat on medium heat. Do not let it boil, just heat till it simmers.
- Now with one hand pour the coconut milk in the egg, and keep stirring with the other hand. This is very important or else the egg will scramble.
- Once the coconut milk is mixed well, add the desiccated coconut, and stir for another minute.
- Sprinkle the cardamom powder on the top.
- In a baking dish, pour very hot water, and place the custard bowl in it.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, or at 250 degrees for forty-five minutes
- Once it stops baking, check by sliding a knife inside the custard. If it comes out clean, it is done.
- You can now either test your patience and eat when it is cold, or devour it while it is still hot.
- Come to think of it, I will try making a chocolate custard next time.
- Cals – 281
- Net Carbs – 0
- Protein – 7 g
- Fats – 25 g