I come from a family where both my parents were working. But, besides the tight schedules my mother always made it a point to cook delicious things for us. In fact, after I started cooking on Keto I realized that I have inherited a peculiar trait from her. Whenever she heard of a new recipe, she couldn’t wait to get home and try it. Well that worked out pretty good for us, as we got to taste all kinds of yummy things. I seem to have that itch too. When I was a ‘normal human being’, I used to crave for all the things I shouldn’t have been eating. As a result, I tried my version of a Keto Custard today and am very happy with the final outcome.
Now that I have become a “ fit and healthy human being’ I crave for Keto foods. Like, since a few days I have been looking for a dessert which is comforting in the winters, and reminds me of my mothers cooking. After a lot of head banging, I decided to make a Keto custard for myself. I don’t know about you, but I have grown up eating all kinds of custards. There was chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, with biscuits, with fruits or just plain.
My recipe is very simple. And although I had eaten my daily allowance of calories when I started cooking the custard, when it was ready I just couldn’t wait till the next day, and ate it piping hot.
This coconut custard is perfect for people who want to have something comforting and sweet on Keto. And, what really astonished me was that when I calculated the nutrition value for one serving the net carbs came to zero. So all your arguments of weight loss getting stalled, and why do we need desserts on Keto, can be put to rest. The only thing that will happen to you if you eat this custard, is that you will smile from one end to the other. Try it, and let me know if you liked it or not.
Keto Custard Making Procedure
1. In a bowl break the egg, add the sweetener and the salt.
2. Blend with a fork, until the sweetener mixes with the egg. Add the vanilla extract and beat some more.
3. While you are beating the egg, pour the coconut milk in a pan, and heat on medium heat. Do not let it boil, just heat till it simmers.
4. Now with one hand pour the coconut milk in the egg, and keep stirring with the other hand. This is very important or else the egg will scramble.
5. Once the coconut milk is mixed well, add the desiccated coconut, and stir for another minute.
6. Sprinkle the cardamom powder on the top.
7. In a baking dish pour very hot water, and place the custard bowl in it.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, or at 250 degrees for forty five minutes
9. Once it stops baking check by sliding a knife inside the custard. If it comes out clean it is done.
10. You can now either test your patience and eat when it is cold, or devour it while it is still hot.
11. Come to think of it, I will try making a chocolate custard next time.
18 thoughts on “Priya’s Zero Carb Keto Custard”
Can I steam cook this in the pressure cooker without whistle?
Yes, why not. Even covered in a water bath in a pan.
Thank you so much Priya. Keep up the good work. You are awesome.
I made this yesterday. It came out amazing.
Since I like cold custard, I did put in the refrigerator for 5-6 hours. I did see that some of the coconut milk solidified and formed little lumps. Is there anything I can do about it? Did I do something wrong?
A lot will depend on the quality of the coconut milk and the brand. Next time cook on low heat for a longer time and keep stirring. Cooling for two to three hours should be enough.
Thanks much Priya. I will try .
Great recipe Priya. What sweetner do you use?
Stevia powder most of the time.
Can you share the brand name and product name of the stevia powder that you are using?
Gaia and Stevia Cal.
From where Can I have your pure vegetarian, without animal & eggs, but with dairy products recipe books purchased from? What are the names of your recipe books and
Hi, a recipe book is in the making 😊 In the meantime check out the recipes in the vegetarian tab.
Is it ok if v use fresh coconut milk
Yes you can.
Where to get coconut milk in India…can u list down the brand
I am using Dabur coconut milk in tetra packs.
Hi….I just finished my last spoon of the keto custard and it turned out to be amazing….i had made it with a slight tweak….just skipped coconut powder(descicated)….please keep sharing such amazing and healthy dishes.
Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it.
कीटो अंडा और मशरूम सूप
Keto Pancakes – Quick and Easy Keto Dessert
Keto Almond Butter Espresso Bars
कीटो तंदूरी टोफू/शाकाहारी व्यंजन
Keto Sesame Chicken Recipe
प्रिया का कीटो विंटर वेज सूप
Keto Ginger Snap Cookies
Keto Cream of Chicken Soup