Last updated on June 10, 2023
I am really excited about today’s post, because it is that time of the year again, when we get to have a rendezvous with our God’s up-close. Navratras or literally ‘nine nights’ are a very special period in India.
It is like the holiest of holy nine days, when we pray to the Gods and Goddesses’ to bless our families and loved ones with good fortune and prosperity. There are festivities everywhere, the temples are decorated, and you can sense the air reverberating with positive energy. To explain this wonderful feeling in words, is a tough job.
The Navratras are celebrated in different ways across the country and under different names too. But, one thing is common in most regions; there is complete abstinence from non-vegetarian foods, eggs and anything with an animal origin.
This event come twice in a year, and each time as special as the other. I remember the last time the Navratras were here (In April I think), I was a novice at Keto and was not using MFP or calculating my macros. I just knew one thing that I had to eat no carbs, so for nine days I just had mushrooms, and veggies, and ended up forcing my body to go into a starvation mode. My weight stalled, and I was in for a shock. This time I am not going to make the same mistake.
Now can you guess, where this post is headed?
The first Navratra is tomorrow and, like millions of other Indians, even I like to stay away from meat and eggs for these nine days. With festivities all around, you don’t need to feel bad that you can’t enjoy them to the fullest, just because you are on Keto.
I will be making a vegetarian plan for myself every night, and I thought it would be a wonderful idea to share it with all of you too. You can pick up some of my ideas, mix, and match and make a plan for yourself.
Before you jump to the conclusion that it might involve intricate chopping and cooking, let me assure you that I am going to keep it as simple as possible. Just follow my lead, and concentrate on the Almighty and not on what to eat, for a change.
Keto Diet Plan for Navratri Day 1
Chia Porridge with Greek Yogurt and Almonds
For the Chia Porridge
- Soak a teaspoon of Chia seeds in half a cup of coconut milk or heavy fat cream, add the sweetener of your choice, and forget about it for eight hours.
- You can also add unsweetened cocoa to this mixture.
For the Greek Yogurt
Just hang 250 ml of full-fat yogurt in a cheese or muslin cloth and forget about it till the morning. In the morning, add sweetener to it, and some cardamom powder if you like.
After your prayers when you are ready to eat, in a bowl serve yourself the chia porridge, add the Greek yogurt on the top and sprinkle 6 chopped almonds on it. Enjoy your super-powered protein breakfast!
Capsicum and Cottage Cheese made in Ghee
- Chop up Paneer or Cottage Cheese and keep it aside.
- Chop capsicum in long julienne.
- Heat the ghee in a wok and drop half a teaspoon of jeera (or cumin seeds) in it.
- Add turmeric, coriander and chilly powder to it and cook on medium heat for five to ten minutes.
- You can also carry this to work.
Mushroom Soup with Broccoli
- Chop up about a packet of mushrooms, about 200gms.
- In a pan, add butter and about half a teaspoon of chopped garlic or garlic powder, and sauté till pink.
- Add half the mushrooms and cook till they start sweating.
- Add salt, pepper and a generous amount of water to the pan.
- After cooking for ten to fifteen minutes, switch off the heat and allow the soup to cool down.
- Blend the soup and put it back on the stove to boil.
- Add the chopped mushrooms that you had kept on the side and cook some more.
- Pour yourself a hot cup of this yummy soup.
- And if you still haven’t hit your fat goal for the day, then top it up with some grated cheese or another dollop of butter or whipped cream.
- If you want, you can also drop some blanched broccoli to your cup and pour the hot soup over it.
I have not given any nutrition breakups for these meals, as you would need to increase or decrease the quantity according to your macros. Some of you will not be able to meet your protein goal, with this plan. Then go ahead and have a protein shake, whenever you feel the need. And, once you are done designing your meal, remember to award yourself with a fat bomb.
No festivity in India is complete without a sweet.