There are some days when you want to settle into bed with a bowl of hot soup, and no care in the world. Well yesterday was one such day, when I did not want to look at butter and eggs or bacon. As I was tucked into my bed with a hot bowl of Keto Winter Vegetarian Soup.
And to add to that I have a fridge full of greens inviting me to eat them! Winters in North India, bring with them the most delightful variety in green vegetables. You can choose from mustard, spinach, fenugreek, spring onions, bok choy, garlic leaves, and so much more.
My soup today is a crazy combination of turnips, bottle gourd (lauki) and spinach. I call it a crazy combo, since I have never tried it before. The end result was a yummy, mildly flavored soup, which was filling and full of fiber. Those of you, who might be on a detox diet, can try the same soup, just skip the ghee and the cottage cheese. In case you do not have bottle gourd, then just substitute it with zucchini.
Keto Winter Vegetarian Soup
- 2 tbsp About 30 ml Dabur Coconut Milk
- 50 gms Turnips cut in dices
- 50 gms Bottle Gourd (Lauki) cut in dices
- 100 gms Spinach finely chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- Star Anise powder or 1 petal
- ½ tsp Star Anise powder or 1 petal
- ¼ tsp Cloves powder or 2 cloves
- ¾ tsp Black Pepper powder
- 4 tbsp or about 60 ml Melted Ghee
- 25 gms of finely chopped Red onion
- 100 gms Paneer or Cottage Cheese cut in small cubes
- In a wok add the ghee and heat it.
- Drop the cubes of cottage cheese.
- Fry till they are golden and then remove from the wok.
- In the same ghee now drop the ginger paste and fry till it changes color. Next add the garlic, cloves and star anise and fry some more.
- Add the onion and fry till it becomes pink. Add half a cup of water and let it come to a boil.
- Now add the turnips and cover the wok for five to seven minutes, allow to cook on low heat.
- Open the lid and add the bottle gourd and cover the pan again for five to seven minutes.
- Check if the vegetables are almost tender. Then add the spinach and keep cooking on low heat.
- Once the veggies are fully tender, add the coconut milk, salt, pepper and cook for three to four minutes more. Switch off the heat, cover the soup and let it cool down.
- Blend the soup and heat it once again, when you are ready to eat. Garnish with the fried cottage cheese.
- Cals – 472
- Net Carbs – 6 g
- Protein -11 g
- Fat – 18 g
Tip: Once I finished cleaning off the bowl, I realized that this Keto Winter Vegetarian Soup could have been made in half the time and my labor at the stove would be minimized, if I used a pressure cooker for this recipe. I just need to follow all the steps in a pressure cooker, drop in all the veggies once the onion is fried and give it one whistle.