Last updated on June 28, 2023
There are those days when all you crave is the comfort of a warm bowl of soup, with no worries or distractions. Yesterday was one of those days for me, when I snuggled into bed and indulged in a steaming bowl of Winter Vegetables Soup.
To make it even more enticing, my fridge was stocked with an abundance of vibrant greens, just begging to be enjoyed! Winter in North India brings forth a delightful array of green vegetables, such as mustard, spinach, fenugreek, spring onions, bok choy, garlic leaves, and so much more.
Also Try: Best Vegetarian Soup Recipes by Priya Dogra.
My soup today is a crazy combination of turnips, bottle gourd (lauki) and spinach. I call it a crazy combo, since I have never tried it before. But the result was truly delightful.
The soup turned out to be flavorful, with a mild taste that perfectly complemented the vegetables’ natural goodness.
What’s more, it was incredibly filling and packed with fiber, making it an excellent choice for those on a detox diet. If you prefer to skip the ghee (clarified butter) and cottage cheese, you can still enjoy the soup for its detoxifying benefits. And if you don’t have bottle gourd on hand, feel free to substitute it with zucchini for a similar texture and taste.
Keto Winter Vegetarian Soup
- 2 tbsp About 30 ml Dabur Coconut Milk
- 50 gms Turnips cut in dices
- 50 gms Bottle Gourd (Lauki) cut in dices
- 100 gms Spinach finely chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- Star Anise powder or 1 petal
- ½ tsp Star Anise powder or 1 petal
- ¼ tsp Cloves powder or 2 cloves
- ¾ tsp Black Pepper powder
- 4 tbsp or about 60 ml Melted Ghee
- 25 gms of finely chopped Red onion
- 100 gms Paneer or Cottage Cheese cut in small cubes
- In a wok add the ghee and heat it.
- Drop the cubes of cottage cheese.
- Fry till they are golden and then remove from the wok.
- In the same ghee now drop the ginger paste and fry till it changes color. Next add the garlic, cloves and star anise and fry some more.
- Add the onion and fry till it becomes pink. Add half a cup of water and let it come to a boil.
- Now add the turnips and cover the wok for five to seven minutes, allow to cook on low heat.
- Open the lid and add the bottle gourd and cover the pan again for five to seven minutes.
- Check if the vegetables are almost tender. Then add the spinach and keep cooking on low heat.
- Once the veggies are fully tender, add the coconut milk, salt, pepper and cook for three to four minutes more. Switch off the heat, cover the soup and let it cool down.
- Blend the soup and heat it once again, when you are ready to eat. Garnish with the fried cottage cheese.
- Cals – 472
- Net Carbs – 6 g
- Protein -11 g
- Fat – 18 g
Tip: Once I finished cleaning off the bowl, I realized that this Keto Winter Vegetarian Soup could have been made in half the time and my labor at the stove would be minimized, if I used a pressure cooker for this recipe. I just need to follow all the steps in a pressure cooker, drop in all the veggies once the onion is fried and give it one whistle — Priya Dogra.