Last updated on July 13, 2023
Weekends are the perfect time for culinary experiments, and I always make it a point to try out new recipes from my ever-growing list of Keto-friendly Indian food and dishes.
This time, I have a treat for all the fish lovers out there: my mouthwatering Keto Tandoori Fish tikka. Trust me, it’s a burst of flavors that will leave you licking your fingers!
While traditional Tandoori fish tikka is typically cooked in a tandoor or on a grill, I’ve simplified the process for you to recreate the same deliciousness in your own kitchen. With the ingredients readily available in your kitchenette, you can try this recipe effortlessly, even if you’re a beginner in the kitchen.
I marinated the fish in a blend of classic Indian spices, then cooked it to perfection in the oven, resulting in a delightful combination of smoky and flavorful fish. The outer layer is beautifully crisp, while the inside remains tender, juicy, and oh-so-succulent.
Also Try: 14 Absolutely Best Keto Non-Vegetarian Recipes by Priya Dogra.
To elevate the experience, I recommend serving my Keto styled Tandoori Fish tikka with a side of zesty Keto Avocado Garlic Chutney. The contrasting flavors will awaken your taste buds, leaving you and your family, as well as any guests, thoroughly satisfied.
Tikka is a dish consisting of pieces of meat or vegetarian alternatives, with its origins tracing back to the ancient Babylon. The term ‘tikka’ was given in the mughal era. It is made by marinating the pieces in spices and yogurt, and cooking them in a tandoor. Tikka is popular throughout the Indian subcontinent and also in countries such as Great Britain — Wikipedia.
Whether you have an oven or not, worry not! I’ve got you covered. I’ll provide step-by-step instructions for both oven-baked and Kitchen stove top versions of this easy Keto-Friendly Fish tikka. So let’s dive right into the recipe.
Keto Tandoori Fish Tikka
- baking tray
- 500 gm Fish Mahi-Mahi/Sole/Swordfish/Salmon, cut in 1.5 inch pieces
- 130 grams Bell Pepper, without seeds and cut in 1-1.5 inch pieces (same size as fish)
- 1 Medium sized Onion cut in 1 inch chunks, remove the onion layers
- 2 tbsp light Olive oil
- 4 tbsp Plain Yogurt or 3 tablespoon plain greek yogurt
- 2 tsp Ginger crushed or grated fine, about ½ inch ginger
- 2 tsp Garlic crushed or grated fine, about 3 cloves
- 1 tsp Lime juice (fresh is better)
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ Turmeric
- 2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1.5 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chili powder
- 2 tsp Dry Kasoori Methi
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- Take a mixing bowl and nicely mix the yoghurt, oil, lemon juice, ginger-garlic paste, and all the spices.
- After that add the pieces of fish, capsicum, and onion to the marinade and toss well till everything gets coated.
Cooking Tikka on Stove
- Take a thick heavy iron skillet and heat that in high flame adding 2 teaspoons of oil for at least 1 minute.
- Remove the excess marination from the fish. Slow the flame to low and place the fish pieces and cut bell peppers and onion carefully on Tawa.
- Roast them for 2 minutes and then flip and cook for another 2 minutes.
- You can remove the bell peppers and onion after they turn slightly crispy.
- Cook the for 6 – 7 minutes till crisp golden by flipping at some interval.
- Serve the Keto Tandoori fish tikka with a sprinkle of lemon juice or chaat masala and serve with chutney.
Cooking Tikka on Oven
- Line the baking tray with parchment or foil sheet and apply oil all over it evenly.
- Turn on the oven broiler. Place the marinated fish, onions, and peppers on foil or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet on the top rack of your oven and cook for 7-8 minutes, or until the fish cooks through and turns opaque.
- Severe hot with chutney
- Sprinkle Chaat Masala or lemon juice over it to add sourish flavors, enjoy!
I love when you try my recipes and send me pictures & feedback. Feel free to add your views about the recipe in the comment section below. You can tag my recipes tried by you using #KetoforIndia on Instagram. Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook and Instagram to learn more about my Ketogenic lifestyle.