Last updated on September 13, 2023
Sambar is a quintessential dish of South India, and Sri Lankan as well. It is a lentil-based vegetable stew, or chowder in some cases, cooked together with dal and tamarind. Today, we’re going to discuss its Ketogenic variant, the Keto Sambar.
Sambar is a lentil-based vegetable stew, cooked with pigeon pea and tamarind broth. It is popular in South Indian, Sri Lankan and Maldivian cuisines — Wikipedia.
In order to make Sambar keto-friendly, we need to remove lentil and tamarind broth from the recipe. Next, we need to substitute the same with keto-friendly ingredients. If you are worried about the taste, don’t. Keto Sambar is as good in flavour as is the traditional sambar, or might be even better.
Also Read: Priya’s South Indian Keto Coconut Chutney
How to Prepare Keto Sambar
- Frying pan
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 25 gm bottle gourd
- 25 gm onion
- 25 gm zucchini
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp. desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 and a half cup of water
- 1 green chili or red chilly powder according to taste
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp. asafoetida
- Salt as per taste
- Coriander or cilantro leaves for garnishing
- Slice and dice the vegetables and set aside together in a bowl.
- Mix together the coconut and coriander powder, along with the turmeric and red chilly powder.
- Place a skillet over a medium-low heat setting and add coconut oil to it. Keep heating until vapor starts coming out from the oil.
- Now, add mustard seeds to the hot coconut oil. And add some dried red chilies and curry leaves.
- Once the mustard seeds stop sputtering, add the sliced and diced veggies and green chilies. Saute for about 1 minute on medium flame. Cook till mushy and well cooked.
- Next, add asafoetida, coconut-coriander powder, and water to the mixture. Turn on the heat and bring to a boil.
- Add salt and mix thoroughly.
- Garnish with cilantro or coriander leaves before serving.
The keto sambar recipe doesn’t have proteins. In order to add the same, you can have it with:
Cauliflower rice or even drop some tofu or fish in it, to make it a whole meal.
My recommended Keto food that you can buy on Amazon.