Sambar is a quintessential dish of South India, and Sri Lankan as well. It is a lentil-based vegetable stew, or chowder in some cases, cooked together with dal and tamarind. Today, we’re going to discuss it’s Ketogenic variant, the Keto Sambar.
In order to make sambar keto-friendly, we need to remove lentil and tamarind broth from the recipe. Next, we need to substitute the same with keto-friendly ingredients. If you are worried about the taste, don’t. Keto sambar is as good in flavor as is the traditional sambar, or might be even better.
Also Read: Priya’s South Indian Keto Coconut Chutney
How to Prepare Keto Sambar
- Frying pan
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 25 gm bottle gourd
- 25 gm onion
- 25 gm zucchini
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp. desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 and a half cup of water
- 1 green chili or red chilly powder according to taste
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp. asafoetida
- Salt as per taste
- Coriander or cilantro leaves for garnishing
- Slice and dice the vegetables and set aside together in a bowl.
- Mix together the coconut and coriander powder, along with the turmeric and red chilly powder.
- Place a skillet over a medium-low heat setting and add coconut oil to it. Keep heating until vapor starts coming out from the oil.
- Now, add mustard seeds to the hot coconut oil. And add some dried red chilies and curry leaves.
- Once the mustard seeds stop sputtering, add the sliced and diced veggies and green chilies. Saute for about 1 minute on medium flame. Cook till mushy and well cooked.
- Next, add asafoetida, coconut-coriander powder, and water to the mixture. Turn on the heat and bring to a boil.
- Add salt and mix thoroughly.
- Garnish with cilantro or coriander leaves before serving.
The keto sambar recipe doesn’t have proteins. In order to add the same, you can have it with:
Cauliflower rice or even drop some tofu or fish in it, to make it a whole meal.
3 thoughts on “Keto Sambar Recipe”
Will surely try this.
Very innovative and inspiring recipes.
Well done !! Thank you for sharing.
Stay well Stay blessed !!
Hari Hari Bol!!
Thank you 😉