After I ate this dish, I was forced to give it the top most rank in my list of favorite fish dishes. This dish has been inspired by the traditional Fish Molly, which is a very popular dish of Kerala, in South India. After researching many recipes, I only did one major alteration, skipped the tomatoes. If you like fish and if you are looking for a low-carb easy alternative, then Keto Fish Molly the dish for you. This dish does not need much introduction for two reasons. One it is absolutely Indian, yummy and so comforting. Secondly, you cannot go much wrong while cooking it. Even my teenage daughter would be able to manage this.
I had cooked this dish on this Sunday, and served it to my daughter with rice and she absolutely loved it. And that is a huge win for me, as she does not like to eat fish at all.
You can have this fish like a soup or try it with Keto buns or Keto bread. I had it like a soup and I was full for a long time. Another thing I need to clarify here is, that the amount of coconut milk that you use will depend on the type you choose. I have used Dabur Homemade Coconut milk for this recipe, and 100 ml was more than enough for a very palatable gravy for 500gms fish. I had diluted 100ml coconut milk with an equal proportion of water.
Keto Fish Molly Recipe
- flat pan
- 500 gms Rohu Fish without bones
- 50 gms Onions finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 2 Green Cardamom small
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- ½ tsp Cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp Cloves powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric / Haldi powder
- 1 tbsp Vinegar or Juice of 1 lime
- 10 tsp Coconut oil
- 100 ml Coconut Milk
- Salt / Pink Salt to taste
- A few curry leaves (optional)
- 2 slit Green Chillies (optional)
- Wash the fish and pat dry.
- In a flat pan put half the coconut oil and heat it. Place the fish pieces on the pan and start frying.
- After three to four minutes turn their side.
- Keep frying on medium heat, till the fish gets a nice golden color on the outside. Switch off the heat and keep aside.
- In a thick bottom pan, now heat the rest of the coconut oil. Keep the spices ready.
- Add the cardamom, cinnamon and cloves fry for thirty seconds. Add the slit green chilies and curry leaves, if you have them.
- Next add the ginger and garlic paste, and fry till it looks cooked.
- Add the onions next and fry till they become dark pink.
- Once the masala looks well cooked, in about three to four minutes, add the coconut milk and raise the heat.
- The coconut milk needs to be thin, so dilute it with enough water if required.
- Once the coconut milk starts boiling, lower the heat and drop the fried fish in it.
- Cook covered for about three to five minutes, check the salt and switch off the heat.
- Allow the fish to sit in the milk and absorb the flavor of the coconut milk. Serve hot as a soup or have Keto Buns or toasted bread with it.
- The recipe makes more than enough for two. In fact if you are on low calories it can be stretched to three servings too.
- Calories -592
- Fat- 43 g
- Net Carbs – 4 g
- Proteins – 46 g
One thought on “Priya’s Keto Fish Molly”
In place of coconut milk, what else can I use??