How Keto changed my life is another story that I will be soon sharing with you.Today I am excited to share with you my birthday cake for 2016. I made a Keto Mocha Cake, which I must admit is the finest version of a low carb cake that I have made till date.
It’s my favorite time of the year again. It’s My Birthday! I turn 40 today, and the number seems to be playing strange games in my mind. At 40 are you expected to mellow down, to close a chapter of your life. Some might suggest stop coloring your hair others might say start coloring them. But the fact remains that it’s just a figure on the paper for me. After almost two years of Keto, I have the energy of a twenty year old, the will to climb mountains and bring on any challenge and I am game.
Keto Mocha Cake
The recipe requires whey protein, so I suggest you use any brand that you have at home, just ensure that it is of a neutral flavor, or a vanilla or chocolate one. My cake is in the fridge, and I am all set to celebrate the end of another fantastic year with my family and friends.
Try the cake and you will love it for sure. The nutrition break up at the end, does not include the numbers, of the glaze, the heavy cream and the compound chocolate choco-chips on top.
1. Measure the almonds and freshly grind them until a fine flour is formed.
2. In a big bowl mix the almond flour and the cocoa powder.
3. Add salt and baking powder to this mixture and mix more.
4. Measure the whey protein and also mix that with the rest of the dry ingredients.
5. Add the sweetener and mix well with your hand or a spoon. Ensure there are no lumps in this mixture.
6. Measure the Amul butter and melt in a bowl.
7. In a food processor or a blender break the eggs and add the vanilla essence.
8. Start blending until the eggs are frothy and light.
9. Now add the melted butter and blend more.
10. Start adding the dry mixture to the eggs and keep blending. Don’t be in a hurry.
11. In about five to ten minutes all the dry mixture will be added to the eggs and a cake like thick batter will be formed.
12. If you have the time you can skip the blender completely and whip the cake the traditional way in a big bowl, with a wooden spoon.
13. Oil a baking dish with ghee, sprinkle some almond flour on it and keep it ready. Pour the batter in this dish.
14. Preheat the oven at 350 degrees for five to seven minutes.
15. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 25 minutes at 220 degrees. Do the knife test.
16. If the knife comes out wet bake at 180 degrees for another 12 minutes.
17. Once the cake is done. Allow it to cool off completely, over night.
18. Next day in a thick bottomed pan heat the heavy cream, the butter and the cocoa together. Add the cocoa and cook on low heat.
19. Soon the glaze will look like a chocolate sauce. Switch off the heat and pour it over the cake.
20. Now since it is my birthday, and for me cake means loads of cream on top, whipped up some heavy cream and spread it on the top of the cake. And sprinkled some compound chocolate unsweetened choco-chips on top.
I must mention here that this cake has been inspired by Hobbit Scott Swenson, who has been most supportive and helpful at so many instances. People like him make our Keto world, extra special and yummylicious!