Before I come to the recipe, I want to say a big thank you to my mother for this one. Had it not been for her, this recipe would not be possible. For those of you who miss namkeen (dry Indian snack) on Keto, you will thank me big time for sharing this Keto Namkeen recipe.
For those of you who live in Mumbai and Pune, you must have hogged on the famous ‘Chiwda’ at some time or the other. It was my favourite too and since i went on Keto, i had been longing to invent my version of it. So I called up my mother and took the recipe from her, obviously, she gave me the version with puffed rice, which i modified to a Keto version. The final version blew my mind away, you can taste the curry leaves, the roasted cumin and the chat masala. I made a big box for myself, which I am going to hog on without feeling any guilt, next time my favourite movie is on.
I have used almonds, dried coconut, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, whole flax seeds, and dried cranberries for the recipe. You can add or deduct any nuts you want according to your taste, and depending on what is easily available at home. I have used coconut oil for frying the ingredients, but I am sure that olive oil will do fine too.
The muesli can be stored in the refrigerator, and it will stay good for two weeks.
How to Make Keto Namkeen
1. Heat 10 tsp coconut oil in a wok. Drop the curry leaves and dried red chillies, fry for a minute or so on medium heat.
2. Now drop the sliced coconut, fennel seeds and fry some more.
3. Add the masalas- turmeric, pink and white salt, chilly powder, chaat masala. Cook for a minute or so and switch off the heat.
4. In this hot wok first, add the sunflower seeds and keep stirring.
5. Now add the pumpkin seeds and stir more.
6. Add the almonds and flax seeds. Stir and ensure the nuts get coated with the masala.
7. Add the chia seeds right at the end.
8. Now add the cumin powder and the stevia and mix lightly.
9. Allow the muesli to cool completely before storing in an airtight box.
10. Enjoy as a snack or as a side dish. It is rich in fibre and taste.
Tip: A lot of people have asked me about which chaat masala to use. You can choose from any of the following-
- Everest Powder – Chaat Masala 100g Carton
- MDH Masala – Chunky Chat, 100g Carton