We Indians love our chutneys, pickles so much that you will even find us travelling with them. So when I got some dried Bombil Duck in the mail, it inspired me to try making a pickle with it. Pickles can spice up any dish and make it more interesting. You can add them to your plain boiled eggs, to your meats. Or even just snack on them, when you want to get a spice kick.
The pickle today is made with Bombil Duck, a dried fish, found easily in the coastal regions of India. But the recipe can be used to make pickle with shrimps, or other dried fish. The pickle stays good in the refrigerator for fifteen to twenty days. The recipe is easy to make and very Keto friendly too.
Keto Bombil Duck Pickle have no onions, tomatoes. But you essentially need Kashmiri red chillies, or simple dried red chillies to make it look so tempting.
How to Make Keto Bombil Duck Pickle
- Soak the dried red chilles overnight in plain water.
2. Weigh the Bombil Fish.
3. Remove the heads, tails and fins. Now cut in about one inch pieces and soak in water with some vinegar in it. Soak for minimum 20 minutes.
4. After weighing the ginger and garlic, get it ready for grinding.
5. Grind the ginger, garlic and red chillies with the water in which the chillies were soaked, till you get a fine paste.
6. Drain the fish completely before frying.
7. In a thick pan or a non stick pan, heat 2tbsp of sesame oil and start frying the fish in it, on medium heat.
8. Fry the fish till it turns golden and crispy. Keep tossing at regular intervals. Once the fish is done keep it aside.
9. In a wok, heat the remaining 1 tsbp of Sesame oil on medium heat. Now drop some curry leaves in it, till they turn dark green. Next add the cumin seeds and the fennel seeds to the wok. Lower the heat.
10. Add the grounded masala to the wok. Cook on low heat till the oil comes to the sides. Add the turmeric powder and the salt. This stage will take around 10 minutes. Now drop the drained fish in this masala and stir with a light hand. Lower the heat.
11. Once the fish looks well coated with the masala. Check the salt. Now add the vinegar and stir it once more and switch off the heat.
12. Store in an airtight container when fully chilled. Enjoy!
Also Read: Keto Lemon Butter Sauce Fish