Biryani is one of the beloved delicacies of Mughal-Indian cuisine. It is simply a flavourful mix of mutton or chicken or eggs, traditionally with flavoured rice. Loaded with spices. I am yet to find somebody who dislikes it..
There are just so many variants of the recipe. It, however, packs way too many carbs. So what can be done? It’s simple, replace the high-on-carb rice with the low-carb cauliflower rice.
Now, biryani is of two types-
kacchi (uncooked) biryani and pakki (cooked) biryani. When it is prepared using only a single pot i.e., rice and chicken (or meat or mutton) is cooked together, then it is called kacchi biryani.
For preparing pakki biryani, you need to cook rice and chicken – and eggs if you’re using them – separately and then assemble them. Both types of biryani preparation require investing different amounts of cooking time.
The keto non-veg biryani we are discussing is a kacchi biryani using chicken.
Total Servings – 4
Prep Time – An overnight + 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
Ingredients required for Keto Non-Veg Biryani
500 grams cauliflower rice (i.e. finely shredded cauliflower)
100 grams hung full-fat yogurt
2 butter pieces (melted), about 20gms
2 tablespoons ghee
2 tablespoons fresh coriander and mint paste
1 chicken (marinated and cut into small pieces), about 1kg
1 onion (shredded or in paste form and fried), about 30gms
1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
1/2 tablespoon coriander powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
1/2 tablespoon garam masala
1/2 tablespoon red chili powder
1/2 tablespoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon lime juice
A few drops of kewra [Optional]
A few drops of shahi biryani essence [Optional]
A pinch of saffron (soaked in warm water)
Salt to taste
The recipe requires marinated chicken. That’s why you need to marinate the chicken overnight. Do so with 1 tablespoon ghee, coriander paste, a few fresh mint leaves, ginger-garlic paste, salt, yogurt, and all the spices.
How to Prepare Keto Non-Veg Biryani
1. Cut the marinated chicken into smaller pieces.
2. Take a deep skillet – or saucepan – and place over a low heat setting. Pour 1 tablespoon ghee in it and let it melt.
3. Add the chicken to the saucepan and then pour over the cauliflower rice.
4. Top the chicken-cauliflower-rice mixture with coriander, kewra, mint leaves, onions, saffron, and shahi biryani essence.
5. Cook the non-veg biryani until the chicken pieces are cooked through. This should take about 15 to 20 minutes, on medium heat. Try cooking without a lid, or the rice will become very soggy.
6. Serve with butter and ghee.
Nutritional Information for Keto Non-Veg Biryani (Per Serving)
Energy – 427 kcal
Carbohydrates – 9 grams
Fat – 18 grams
Fiber – 3 grams
Protein – 59 grams
That sums up the Keto non-veg (kacchi) biryani recipe. Hope you enjoy it. Have some suggestions or queries? Let us know via comments. Eat healthy and stay fit. Until next time!