Biryani is one of the beloved delicacies of Mughal-Indian cuisine. It is simply a flavourful mix of mutton or chicken or eggs, traditionally with flavoured rice. Loaded with spices. I am yet to find somebody who dislikes it. Today I have brought you the Keto version of Chicken Biryani.
There are just so many variants of the recipe. It, however, packs way too many carbs. So what can be done? It’s simple, replace the high-on-carb rice with the low-carb cauliflower rice.
Now, biryani is of two types-
kacchi (uncooked) biryani and pakki (cooked) biryani. When it is prepared using only a single pot i.e., rice and chicken (or meat or mutton) is cooked together, then it is called kacchi biryani.
For preparing pakki biryani, you need to cook rice and chicken – and eggs if you’re using them – separately and then assemble them. Both types of biryani preparation require investing different amounts of cooking time.
The keto non-veg biryani we are discussing is a kacchi biryani using chicken.
The recipe requires marinated chicken. That’s why you need to marinate the chicken overnight. Do so with 1 tablespoon ghee, coriander paste, a few fresh mint leaves, ginger-garlic paste, salt, yogurt, and all the spices.
Keto Chicken Biryani Recipe
- Deep saucepan
- 500 gm cauliflower rice finely shredded cauliflower
- 100 gm grams hung full-fat yogurt
- 20 gm 2 butter pieces (melted)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander and mint paste
- 1 kg 1 chicken (marinated and cut into small pieces)
- 30 gm 1 onion (shredded or in paste form and fried)
- 1 tbsp fresh mint leaves
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tbsp cumin powder
- ½ tbsp garam masala
- ½ tbsp red chili powder
- ½ tbsp turmeric
- ½ tsp lime juice
- A few drops of kewra optional
- A few drops of shahi biryani essence optional
- A pinch of saffron (soaked in warm water)
- Salt to taste
- Cut the marinated chicken into smaller pieces.
- Take a deep skillet – or saucepan – and place over a low heat setting. Pour 1 tablespoon ghee in it and let it melt.
- Add the chicken to the saucepan and then pour over the cauliflower rice.
- Top the chicken-cauliflower-rice mixture with coriander, kewra, mint leaves, onions, saffron, and shahi biryani essence.
- Cook the non-veg biryani until the chicken pieces are cooked through. This should take about 15 to 20 minutes, on medium heat. Try cooking without a lid, or the rice will become very soggy.
- Serve with butter and ghee.
That sums up the Keto non-veg (kacchi) biryani recipe. Hope you enjoy it. Have some suggestions or queries? Let us know via comments. Eat healthy and stay fit. Until next time!