Chicken Adobo is a very famous dish from Philippines. In all probability most of you must have had it, at sometime or the other. Adobo, literally means to pickle something before cooking it. While the technique can be traced back to Spain, the dish is commonly eaten in Philippines. After preparing deliciously awesome Keto Chicken Adobo at home. I have got the secret recipe for you.
By combining the flavors of vinegar, garlic, bay leaf, soy (Kikkoman) sauce and peppercorns, you can totally transform any meat. This unique marinate can be used to stew beef, pork and chicken. What is most remarkable about Keto Chicken Adobo is the fact that it needs no tomatoes, ginger or even onions. You can carry it to work, and also serve it as finger food at a party. Traditionally, Adobo chicken is a gravy dish, which is eaten with boiled rice.
But when I made it for myself, I kept very little gravy and ate it just like that, with a side dish of sautéed broccoli. The most important step to get a yummy Keto Chicken Adobo, is to allow the chicken to sit in the marinate for at least twelve to fourteen hours. I had marinated the chicken last night, and cooked it for dinner today. The cooking time was just ten minutes. And I must share with you, that the chicken once ready was juicy and full of flavor till the deepest core. I could clearly identify the strong aroma of garlic, bay leaf and peppercorns. However, I must tell you that this chicken has a very strong tangy base. In my research, I found out that a few Filipinos like to add a spoon of palm sugar to the gravy. You could try adding a few drops of stevia, or reduce the soya sauce if you don’t want it to be extra salty. I for one loved the dish just like this, and will surely make it again.
Keto Chicken Adobo Making Procedure
- Wash the chicken and cut it into small pieces.
- In a bowl add the chicken pieces, vinegar, soy sauce, bay leaf, garlic, olive oil and peppercorns.
- Mix well and add enough water, which submerges the chicken completely.
- Cover and let it marinate for at least four to 14 hours.
- Next day, drop the chicken, with the marinade in a heavy bottom pan and bring it to a boil.
- Once it starts boiling, cover the pan, lower the heat and let it cook for five to seven minutes. My chicken was fully done in this time.
- Now pick out the chicken pieces and reduce the sauce, till half the quantity is left. Switch off the heat and let it cool down.
- In a wok add the ghee and heat it.
- Drop the chicken pieces in it ,and fry till they turn golden in colour.
- Lower the heat and strain the gravy over this chicken. Cook for just another minute and switch off the heat.
Tip: If you don’t mind the taste of whole peppercorns, then don’t strain the gravy. You can also drop these spices tied in a muslin cloth, which can be later lifted, at the last stage.
And don’t forget it is absolutely Keto friendly as it has no onions, tomatoes or ginger in it.